With 2012 wrapping up (hooray, no apocalypse!) there is now the anticipation of movies and television shows for 2013 to begin. This is my list of my top 5 returning and top 5 new television shows that I am looking forward to and think you should be too.
Returning TV Shows
- Being Human (BBC America): this show has accomplished what few others have– killing off their entire original cast and replacing them with a new one. This isn’t like what American Horror Story does where they reuse the same actors in new roles the next season– no, Being Human has new actors and characters with the original set-up. The season will focus on the new relationship between werewolf Tom (Michael Socha), ghost Alex (Kate Brachen), and vampire Hal (Damien Moloney). There will be a new villain to face and each character’s quirks– such as Hal’s severe OCD and battle with controlling his bloodlust– to create drama. At the heart of this sci-fi show is the relationship between the three main characters and the humor that keeps it all fun and not too heavy (unlike season 3). Being Human will be returning February 3, 2013, for its fifth season.
- Community (NBC): this show is one of the funniest I have seen on basic television and I love the writing and delivery of the material– it is funny without being cruel or silly. As well, I love the characters and actors (especially Joel McHale) for making the show what it truly is. The show focuses on the adventures of a group of friends that all attend a community college. The fourth season of Community returns February 7, 2013.
- Doctor Who (BBC America): this will be the eighth season of the show and will continue with the 11th incarnation of the Doctor (played by Matt Smith) and his new companion, Clara (played by Jenna Louise-Coleman). The basic premise of Doctor Who is a humanoid time-traveling alien journeys all over the universe and time to save the world. This season focuses on the relationship between the Doctor and Clara. Not much is known about Clara besides the fact that she has died twice– once when she became a dalek and the other time in 1892 during last night’s Christmas episode– and that there is a huge mystery surrounding her. The eighth season of Doctor Who will premiere on March 1, 2013.
- Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family): this show has created a cult-like following over the past four years and is returning for its fourth season, and returns to even more speculation and excitement afte revealing another member of the “A” group. The show focuses on Spencer (Trioan Bellisario), Aria (Lucy Hale), Hanna (Ashley Benson), and Emily (Shay Mitchell) and their quest to solve the murder of their friend Alison (Sasha Pieterse). All four girls and those they are close to have been targets– or have even been killed– by this group, known only as “A,” that is covering up Alison’s death. This season will focus on Toby’s (Keegan Allen), Spencer’s boyfriend, betrayal and role as a member of “A.” Pretty Little Liars will premiere its fourth season on January 8, 2013.
- The Walking Dead (AMC): I am fairly new to this phenomenon (my best friend is obsessed with the show and I started watching it with him towards the end of the season and fell for it) but I am extremely excited for the return. The show, while the main villains are zombies, focuses on the issues with people and their morality. The show flourishes for its character dynamics and originality and I look forward to its return. The Walking Dead returns February 10, 2013 and re-airs all previous episodes December 31, 2012 through January 1, 2013.
New Television Shows
- The Americans (FX): this show is coming along after the huge successes of FX’s other original shows– Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, and Wilfred– and follows on the plot of a Cold War drama in which there are Soviet spies hiding as Americans with spouses and families, meanwhile these spies will do anything once they are told to. This show, just from the trailer, looks to have a lot of drama and suspense along with a question of morality. The Americans stars Annet Mahendru and Paul Jude Letersky and premieres January 30, 2013.
- The Carrie Diaries (CW): this show is the highly anticipated prequel to Sex and the City and explores the life of Carrie Bradshaw (Anna Sophia Robb) before she became…Carrie Bradshaw. The show will explore her home life, friends before Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte, and how she broke into the industry. I am looking forward to this show and my best friend and I will be watching the premiere. The Carrie Diaries premieres January 14, 2013.
- Do No Harm (NBC): this show is about the neurosurgeon Dr. Jason Cole (Steven Pasquale), who has multiple personalities– well, just one other personality called Ian Price that comes out at a specific time and is a psychopath. The show is based on the novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and will focus on Cole’s attempts to keep Price away; and Price’s attempts to take over the body completely so he may seek revenge due to being suppressed by Cole’s drugs. Do No Harm premiers January 31, 2013.
- Orphan Black (BBC America): this show is another one of BBC America’s “Supernatural Saturdays” shows– others include Being Human and Merlin— and their third original series. The show is about street-smart orphan Sarah (Tatiana Maslany), who witnesses a woman, whom looks exactly like her, commit suicide and assumes her identity to take her savings. All of this leads Sarah to discovering that the woman who died was one of her many clones and slowly, they are all being killed off. Orphan Black premieres March 30, 2013.
- Ripper Street (BBC America): this is also another BBC America original series and follows along the same tone and idea as their other original drama Copper. This show focuses on three detectives (Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn, and Adam Rothenberg) who are trying to stop the various murders that are similar to those of “Jack the Ripper”– yet, the man that was the original killer is dead. Hopefully this show will not be as drawn out as Copper was and will be better paced. Ripper Street premieres January 19, 2013.
What shows are you looking forward to in 2013? And are any of these on your list?